Fun Facts About Honey Bees & Honey
- 80% of the pollination of the fruits, vegetables and seed crops in the U.S. is accomplished by honeybees.
- Honey bees have five eyes
- Honey stored in air tight containers never spoils. Sealed honey vats found in King Tut’s tomb still contained edible honey, despite over 2,000 years beneath the sands.
- A queen is the largest bee in the hive. She can lay up to 2,000 eggs per day, twice her own bodyweight per day.
- Drones have no stinger. They do no real work. Their only purpose is to mate with virgin queens.
- Bees must visit approximately 2 million flowers to make 1 lb. of honey.
- Bees have to fly over 55,000 miles to make 1 lb. of honey.
- On average a worker bee will make 1/12 teaspoon of honey in her lifetime.
- Two tablespoons of honey would fuel a honey bee flying once around the world.
- Honey bees will visit between 50-100 flowers during one nectar collection trip
Warning: Honey is not recommended for children under the age of 1.